Fire Research Information Might Help To Keep Your Family Safe
More than one-quarter of the reported fires occurred in home environments, according to the National Fire Protection Association. They have also researched specific causes.
Most home fires and fire casualties result from five causes: cooking, heating equipment, electrical distribution and lighting equipment, intentional fire setting, and smoking materials.
Here are some tips to help avoid some of these causes:
Stay in the kitchen when you are frying, grilling, or broiling food.
If you leave the kitchen for even a short period of time, turn off the stove.
Wear short, close-fitting or tightly rolled sleeves when cooking.
Keep children away from cooking areas by enforcing a "kid-free zone" of 3 feet around the stove.
Position barbecue grills at least 10 feet away from siding and deck railings, and out from under eaves and overhanging branches.
Smoke outside and completely stub out butts in an ashtray or a can filled with sand.
Soak cigarette butts and ashes in water before throwing them away.
Never toss hot cigarette butts or ashes in the trash can.
Never smoke in a home where oxygen is used, even if it is turned off.
Oxygen can be explosive and makes fire burn hotter and faster.
Be alert - don’t smoke in bed! If you are sleepy, have been drinking, or have taken medicine that makes you drowsy, put your cigarette out first.
Electrical and Appliance Safety
Frayed wires can cause fires.
Replace all worn, old or damaged appliance cords immediately and do not run cords under rugs or furniture.
If an appliance has a three-prong plug, use it only in a three-slot outlet.
Never force it to fit into a two-slot outlet or extension cord.
Immediately shut off, then professionally replace, light switches that are hot to the touch and lights that flicker.
Portable Space Heaters
Keep combustible objects at least three feet away from portable heating devices.
Buy only heaters evaluated by a nationally recognized laboratory, such as Underwriters Laboratories (UL).
Check to make the portable heater has a thermostat control mechanism, and will switch off automatically if the heater falls over.
Only use crystal clear K-1 kerosene in kerosene heaters.
Never overfill it. Use the heater in a well-ventilated room.
Fireplaces and Woodstoves
Inspect and clean woodstove pipes and chimneys annually and check monthly for damage or obstructions.
Use a fireplace screen heavy enough to stop rolling logs and big enough to cover the entire opening of the fireplace to catch flying sparks.
Make sure the fire is completely out before leaving the house or going to bed.
Take the mystery out of fire play by teaching children that fire is a tool, not a toy.
Store matches and lighters out of children's reach and sight, preferably in a locked cabinet.
Never leave children unattended near operating stoves or burning candles, even for a short time.
More Prevention Tips
Never use stove range or oven to heat your home.
Keep combustible and flammable liquids away from heat sources.
Portable generators should NEVER be used indoors and should only be refueled outdoors or in well ventilated areas.
Our Fire Damage Restoration Services In Washington DC
If you have fire damage in your home, SERVPRO of Washington DC can help.
SERVPRO of Washington DC is available 24 hours a day for restoration after damage, large or small. When you are dealing with water damage, immediate action is critical.
A delay of just a few hours can greatly increase the severity of the damage.
Since each smoke and fire damage situation is a little different, each one requires a unique solution tailored for the specific conditions. We have the equipment, expertise, and experience to restore your fire and smoke damage.
We are ready to help when you have fire damage, SERVPRO of Washington DC (202) 737-8776.